Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sachplakat


If I had to guess, none of my readers actually know what "Sachplakat" means. If I remember correctly, it was a genre of advertising, dating back to the early 1900's in Germany. The Germans and the Swiss really know how to design posters. Google it, you'll see what I mean. People often refer to this style as "object posters." Or maybe that's actually what Sachplakat means...maybe I should google that.

Why object poster? Well, the art speaks for itself. The stark contrast of color, the defined shapes coming together to create an object...oh the beauty. I hate almost every poster I see today. Too much copy, too many colors, nothing to draw your eye in. I wish people understood that a well-designed poster only needs to accomplish one thing: make people look at it. If you draw them in, they'll see the smaller details (time, date, location, etc.). That information doesn't need to be huge, bold, or the star of the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment